Sunday, March 10, 2013

Abort! Abort!

Well not more than a few hours after I published my last post on this blog and I realized that the list I discussed was illegal. *Sigh* It looks like my over reliance on www.easyarmy.com got me on this one.  After looking at the original Wargames Illustrated article the warrior Otto Ernst Remer is not supposed to be an option for the Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade lists, only the Fuhrer Bergleit Brigades.  I'll get into the differences between the two in a later post but suffice to say that they are not interchangeable.  While I could go back and just switch a few things around and run mostly the same list but without Remer I think I'd rather just re-work the list from the ground up around Remer.  So I started in on that and quickly came up with a new list with some slightly different choices.

First off, since I decided to build the list with Remer in mind which means that it has to be one of the Fuhrer Begleit Brigades, specifically the grenadier company or the panzerfusilier company.  The grenadier company is Reluctant Trained and not motorized so its not really an option, so that left me with really just the panzerfusilier company as my only realistic choice.  Looking over the list though its not bad. I'll go through my choices briefly since many of them are the same.

First off we have the HQ, Otto Ernst Remer, and the two core platoons of panzerfusiliers.  These are the core of my striking and defensive forces.  If I'm in a fair fight battle I can leave the CiC with the defending platoon and keep Remer with the attackers, that way both get boosts to their motivation of Confident.  There should be enough AA between the three sdkfz 251/17Ds to keep airstrikes from being really devastating.

From there I've picked a platoon of 15cm Nebelwerfers for smoke and artillery support and a short strength platoon of the fuhrer panzergrenadiers mounted in their Schwimmwagens.  This gives me all the auxiliary support that I should need to supress the enemy in front of me and keep the American tank destroyers from running straight over and through me.

Lastly the thing that makes up the most important part of the list, the tanks.  One platoon of four Panzer IV Js to make up the mobile striking force and one platoon of three Panzer IV/70 (A).  I realize that the Panzer IV/70 is not the greatest choice from a mobility and survivability perspective but I need some kind tank with a high AT value. I very well may be facing some heavy enemy tanks so I'll need something to punch through the IS-2s and Churchills of the world.  If I'm in a fair fight I can put the IV/70s on the defense where their slow movement won't be as big an issue.

That's it, I've already wasted too much time building an illegal list so its back to the building table. For now I'll just put up this picture of the first batch of panzerfusiliers that I finished.  I need to get a light box going again for my pictures since these don't exactly look good.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment